Sunday, August 24, 2014

Namer Terms

Have you ever been on a name site and seen people using terms you just don't understand?! Well, I think this may help you out. We namers have our own "language" that we use.

• GP (Guilty Pleasure) - A guilty pleasure name is a name you really like or love but you can't use for whatever reason. Ex: I love the name Maria, but I have a cousin named Maria and my boyfriend has a bad imagine for Maria because of a girl that bullied him in highschool. 

• Sibset - Us namers use the term sibset if we want opinions on several names as brothers or sisters. Ex: What do you think of the sibset? Eleanor, Stephanie and Brock.

• WDYT (What Do You Think) - This is just a little term we use when we want to know what others think about a certain name. Ex: WDYT of Quinn as a boys name?

Latter - If we have to choose between more than one name, and the name we like the most is the last one, we use the term "latter". Ex: Which one do you prefer? Erica, Amy, Renee or Nina? I prefer the latter. 

• DH (Dear Husband) -
A term used in the namer world, when we talk about our husbands, we just call him DH. Ex: My DH and I have agreed on the name Timothy.

• 
DD (Dear Daughter) - Same as above, except for our daughters. Ex: My DD is named Luna

• DS (Dear Son) - Same as above with DH and DD, except for our sons. Ex: My DS is named Abbott.

 FN (First Name) - I think this is pretty obvious. It's the first name we choose for our children. Ex: My daughters FN is Elizabeth. 

• MN (Middle Name) - The 2nd + name(s) of your childrens name. Ex: My daughters MN is Lucy.

• NN (Nickname) - It's a shorter name that you call your child instead of their given name. Ex: Calvins' NN is Cal.

• Combo - The first and middle name(s) of your child. Ex: What do you people think of the combo Eloise Margo?

• Flow - How the names go together. Ex: The flow of Ella Anna is off. Try Ella Anne.

• Dated - An older name that isn't really usable anymore. Ex: I think Mildred is extremely dated.

• PRN (Pronounced) - How a name is said. Ex: The name Wesley is PRN wes-lee.

• NMS (Not My Style) - A name that isn't someones "cup of tea" and that they don't really like. Ex: What do you think of Edward? It's really NMS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment